Tuesday, September 29, 2009



FLOWER EARRINGS
Now that I have a few canes made, I had so much fun coming up with the way to use them. Earrings are fun to make because it is fast and easy and sell well.
1. Cut out 4 slides from leaf cane. You can cut 2 thick one but I like mine puffy.

2. Put a small piece of clay in between 2 leaves, close the edge by pressing it with your fingers.


3. Poke a hole on the top, set aside.

4. Now we are going to make like a head pin with clay. First cut 2 pieces of wire of your choice. I used copper wire. Bend it down like so. Roll a scrap clay into a ball then press the wire in it. Now you can use any color scrap clay or using slides from the cane that is not so perfect. Set them aside. Make 2 more using the color that match the flower cane.

5. Now we are going to make flower. Cut 2 fairly thick slides from flower cane. You can stretch them if they are too small. Cut 1/2 way through the slides. Wrap it around the headpin in a way that it spiral up the wire.

6. Wrap some green color cane around the stem. Bake.

7. Using the clay covered headpins to make the loop on top of each leaf and flower.

8. Put them on ear wire of your choice.

There are so many way to use the cane. Hope you have fun with them.

7 comments:

Rita said...

Hi,
I am from Sweden and I am so glad that I found your page! You make such lovely things with this clay =)
I have just startet to try it out, but I have one question, if it's OK for you?
When you have made for example those leafcanes, it is possible to save them without cutting them and have them in the owen right away? Is it possible to put them into plasticwrapper ande save them soft for another time? Hope you understand my question.
Have a nice day!

Silastones said...

Dear Rita
Thanks for your kind words. Yes, you can wrap the canes w/ plastic wrap and keep them for a long time. make sure you warm it up (in your hand) before you slice it.
I am using Fimo clay because I like the color and it is pretty stiff. Other clays are too soft for me. Have fun :)

Rita said...

Dear Silastone,
Thanks a lot for your answer. It helped me a lot.
I will follow this blog so I don't miss anything.
Take care :)

Darlene said...

I really like how you did the headpin. What a great idea! I'm going to try this. You do beautiful work!

Anonymous said...

hi,
I'm from Philippines, I'm a newbie on this stuff,and I'm so glad I found your site that gives free tutorial, I admire your works a lot, your works are so pretty, I want to try this but I'm afraid to make mistake,LOL, polymer clay are a bit pricey here in our place. I tried making canes but they look awful lol,,,well, maybe I just have to keep on trying.
You are helping a lot of newbies on your tutorials,THANK YOU=)keep it up
have a nice day!

Jane Chew said...

thanks for sharing the tutorial! I have introduced your work at www.handmade-jewelry-club.com. I am sure my readers will be delighted just like me to have found your site. Cheers

Nice2SeeYou! said...

Hi,
I'm from Ireland and I'd like to send you a big thank you for all your work yout put in these tutorial!